Monday, June 22, 2009

I met Joey Cape!


The hardest thing I've had to deal with is the fact that the people who love me and want to help will never truly know what it feels like to have Colitis (or not have a colon at all...)

One thing that has gotten me through some really hard times is a song by my favorite band, Lagwagon. The song basically says you can't depend on other peoples' content or happiness to be happy for yourself. "Find inner strength" because no one else can find it for you.

Last night was the highlight of my year. The singer from Lagwagon, Joey Cape, was performing at the Earl here in Atlanta. We weren't sure if I'd be able to make it to the show; and then there is always the concern about seating. I would not last one set without a seat. All day I was feeling crappy but I just kept telling my self, "You can do this. You will go to the show no matter what!"

After a nice dinner at the Moerlins' house with friends, Eli and I headed to the Earl. Low and behold- there was plenty of seating for my crippled self! We sat just to the side of the stage and an hour later... Joey came out!

His set was awesome. He played some solo stuff, some Bad Astronaut stuff and some Lagwagon. Our friend who knows Joey from years ago told him we wanted to meet him. We waited around while Joey ate his dinner after the show. Finally, he came out and started packing up his stuff. We walked over and shook hands.

Eli, milking the situation for all he can, tells me, "Show him your tattoo!" The one dedicated to the song Joey wrote that got me out of bed all those times I just couldn't fight anymore. So, I played the disability card! I told him that I have a disability and Bombs Away is a song that really got me through the hard times. You can't pass up a skinny girl talking about how your song got her through her disability! He gave me a BIG hug and said, "that's great!" I got a picture and he signed my poster and I got another hug.

I grew up in Los Angeles and I don't get star-struck but after I met Joey Cape, I was smiling ear to ear. When I was talking to him I stumbled over my words. I couldn't believe I was talking to what I consider to be one of the most talented writers of modern music.

I guess it's not always bad to have a disability! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! That is so cool! You have to post that picture!

    ReplyDelete