Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Shower desecration

I am not a fan of peeing in the shower. I think I tried it once and was so disgusted I spent the whole afternoon disinfecting the entire bathroom!

When you are sick, things have a way of changing out of necessity. For instance, while I was in the hospital I had to allow the nurse to empty my bag despite her ability to effectively empty a bag without spilling all over the place. I don't even pee in the shower, what makes you think I'm ok with pooping in my bed?

Well, today, out of necessity, I had to poop in my shower. I know most of my house guest will now opt for Eli's bathroom because of this... The problem is the skin around my stoma is starting to burn and become raw. This happens because, there is no sugar coating here, my poop just hangs out in this bag and can occasionally find it's way to my skin. The barrier often dissolves exposing the skin. Some times the seal is not right up against the stoma. I am not a dirty person!

I felt I needed to let it breathe- air out! I've been wanting to do this for weeks now but I am usually laying flat when we take off the wafer. So, I was in the shower, prepping for our wafer change and I decided to take it off... to take it all off! I could not contain myself. At one point the stoma shot a stream out, at least 3 inches from my body! It just dripped down my leg into the drain. I didn't know what to do. I ended up grabbing a bag and pressing it up against my belly until we could get me flat to put on a new wafer... This is not even half the battle but we'll save wafer changes for another day.

It was all too much to bear. I'll spend the better part of tomorrow bleaching down my tub!!

No comments:

Post a Comment