Monday, July 6, 2009

Solo Drive

Friday was my first solo drive since... April, I think! Of course it was to the pharmacy to get some pain pills. I felt good.

I planned the whole thing. Driving is no little task for me these days. For starters, I have to put the lap part of my seat belt behind me (is that even safe?) so it won't rub on my stoma. I have to plan all my trips around when I take medication that could knock me out or make me loopy. And of course there is always the fear of not getting a parking spot close to where ever I am going and passing out in the parking lot!

I had my water, a breakfast bar, and Ophie (always! She loves drives). I went the back way just like I used to go to work (I know that route best). I pulled up to the pharmacy: ROCK STAR PARKING! Right in front of the door. I adjust the windows for the puppy, grab my purse and lock up the car.

I take the four steps to the door and the auto door won't open. Now to me I'm thinking the power went out again (as it has been every week around noonish). I even tried to slide the door open myself. Then I notice the HUGE paper on the door: Kaiser Pharmacy will be closed for Independence day on July 3rd and 4th.

Booooo! Of course. Because I had it all planned something had to go wrong! I'm just glad I had enough pills for the weekend.

So, I got back in the car and treated myself to a Starbucks and cheese bagel!! It was so worth the trip! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment